Portland Art Museum

Project Info

Gallery Renovations
Portland, Oregon
Completed in 1986

The original building, designed by Pietro Belluschi in 1937, had been seriously altered by numerous remodels and additions. In 1986, Hacker was asked to assist the Museum in the master planning and restoration of the aging facility. The scope of work included restoration of the historic galleries as well as lighting and exhibit design. The work included the Hirsch and Ayer Galleries, the Sculpture Court and entrance lobby. As Mr. Belluschi walked through the museum to observe the restoration, he declared, “What a pleasure to see it come to life again.”